Tuesday 28 June 2011

Review: The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder


Amber’s life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself.

Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell he’s also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a perfect day: no pasts, no fears, no regrets.

The more time that Amber spends with Cade, the more she’s drawn to him. And the more she’s troubled by his darkness. Because Cade’s not just living in the now—he’s living each moment like it’s his last.
(Goodreads)
My Thought
I was little bit surprise when I read the first page. I thought it was just the prologue. But when I move to few next pages, I realized that the format of this book is different. It is written in verse.  I got no problem with this kind of book. But the verse made me almost miss the important part. That was way, In the beginning, I got confused a little bit. I have no idea what Amber was trying to said. But when I read the first letter, I started getting the red line. Especially when Cade appeared. I think I could get the track. So I decided to reread it.
 
The Day Before brought me to Amber, a girl who ran away from her family and one thing that troubled her for almost three years. After letting me get the picture of Amber's life, It took me to Cade. It did not take hours for them to get connected. For some books I would say it was just too fast. But this time, I did not feel the same. It might because the relationship between them was bonded naturally. Although I was not into both of them, but I did enjoy their conversation. Especially with those Heads and Tails or when they talked about the movie. I also liked when they finally shared anything. I loved how Lisa determined the ending for them.

One thing that I was also looking forward in this book was the letters. It helped me a lot in getting the story line. I was happy when the ending was attached with it, not the verse.
Even if I did not fancy the verse format, but I admit it was written well. I still enjoy the book however the emotions were not floating on the surface. 

This is the first book of Lisa Schroeder that I read. I hope there will be a chance to read the other book of hers. I am curious about I Heart You, You Haunt Me and Chasing Brooklyn. From her Goodreads page, I know that she also wrote Middle Grade book. I am looking forward to read it. For those of you who love a contemporary book, I am pretty sure you don’t wanna miss this one. If you are looking a face-paced and light book, I recommend The Day Before to you.

Cover
I like the color choice. But I wish it was not grass but the sand on the beach.

4/5

Author: Lisa Schroeder | Website | Twitter
Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: Simon Pulse (June 28, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1442417439
ISBN-13: 978-1442417434
Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 5.7 x 1.2 inches

No comments:

#SS2014: The Riddle

Here we go again~ Setelah dua tahun berturut-turut dapat buku terjemahan, tahun ini aku dapat buku dari penulis Indonesia. Ud...