Monday 16 April 2012

Book Review: The Bremen Town Musician by Brian Wildsmith


A retelling of the Grimm Brothers’ beloved tale about an old donkey who leaves the farm to travel to Bremen where he hopes to join a band. On the way, he meets a dog, a cat, and a rooster. With a bray, a bark, a meow, and a cock-a-doodle-doo, they become fast friends and decide to travel together to Bremen—getting there leads to great unexpected results. (Goodreads)

~~~

Once upon a time there was a donkey who decided to leave the farm where he had worked for many years. He knew that he grew old and could not work anymore. He was so upset when he found out that the farmer planned to sell him. Bremen is the city that he chose. He thought that he could sing with the town band. In his way to Bremen, he met a dog, cat and rooster who agreed to go along and sing together.  When night fell they decided to take rest. Some of them were about to close their eyes when Rooster saw a lighted house. They looked inside and saw many food and five fierce robbers who gathered around it. Looking at the food on the table made them created one big plan.

The Town Musicians of Bremen is one of the fairytales that was written by the Grimm Brothers. I have read the translation. Now Brian Wildsmith retells the story with colorful illustrations. It was nice to see the donkey, dog, cat and rooster. I like the way he drew them complete with the background. Unfortunately I could not really see the delicious food.  I saw the bread and some meat. But they were just plain pictures.  

From 40 pages, my favorite is the illustration where the dog climbed onto donkey’s back, cat was on dog and rooster perched on the cat. It reminds me to the bronze statue of the Town Musician. The statue surprised me when I saw it for the first time. Just like the story, it was located in Bremen, Germany. I want to touch the hooves. 

I recommend this book for children who love illustration book.  I hope they can enjoy it as I do.

Image source: Wikipedia

Author: Brian Wildsmith
Hardcover: 40 pages
Publisher: Star Bright Books |
Blog  
Publication Date: April 15, 2012
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1595723455
ISBN-13: 978-1595723451


No comments:

#SS2014: The Riddle

Here we go again~ Setelah dua tahun berturut-turut dapat buku terjemahan, tahun ini aku dapat buku dari penulis Indonesia. Ud...