Thursday 31 March 2011

Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...
A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands

My Thought
I found many good reviews and high rating for this book since I started my "blog-walking" last December. I was so excited when I found out that this book was published also in Indonesia and got more excited since it was translated by my favorite translator. Few days after it was displayed, If I Stay was in my hand.

The story which is It was a quick read. Only took few hours to finish this book. Mia's life seemed so perfect before the incident happened. Look at her family, school, friends or her boyfriend. But I have no problem with all those stuff.

I loved almost all chapters. Especially when It told me about Mia's family. I was looking forward to reading her narration about her cool father, mother, her little brother, Teddy, even friends of her parents. I also liked when she talked about music. I'd love to hear one of song that was mentioned. Her relationship with Adam was also something that I enjoyed.

Sadly, till the last pages, there was not any emotion left. I could not feel when she got confused whether to stay or not. There was no teary eyes. But none to blame because the translation was good. I just did not get what she felt.

However I am not that into this book. I am willing to read the second book, Where She Went. Since I realized I am a big of contemporary book with this theme.


The Cover
I fall for the cover. It is much better than the US cover either the hardcover or the paperback


3/5


~~~


Editor: Dini Pandia
Translator: Poppy D. Chusfani

Paperback, 200 pages
Published February 8th 2011 by PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Source: bought

No comments:

#SS2014: The Riddle

Here we go again~ Setelah dua tahun berturut-turut dapat buku terjemahan, tahun ini aku dapat buku dari penulis Indonesia. Ud...