Saturday 4 June 2011

Review: Truth or Dare... by P.J. Night




During a round of Truth or Dare, Abby Miller confesses her crush on Jake Chilson. The only people who know her secret are her friends at the sleepover—and whoever sent her a text message in the middle of the night warning her to stay away from Jake…or else!
But Abby isn’t going to stay away from Jake, especially not after he asks her to the school dance.
As the night of the dance comes closer, some very creepy things start happening to Abby. Someone definitely wants to keep her away from Jake. Is it a jealous classmate or, as Abby begins to suspect, could it be a ghost?

My Thought
When I saw the cover, I suddenly remembered all books that were written by R.L. Stine. That’s one of the reasons why I directly grabbed it from the galley. I was wondering If I was going to feel a little goosebumps or any kind of feeling that I used to have when I read such stories.

Truth and Dare brought me to Abby Miller. She was hosted a sleepover party with three of her friends from school. Since the beginning, she has felt little bit awkward. But she ignored it. She did not want to ruin the great time with something unreasonable. But then next morning, she got a mysterious text message. None of the recognized the number. It was a warning. Whoever sent it told her to stay from Jake, a boy that Abby liked. She just confessed it last night, when they had Truth and Dare.

All of her friends suggested her to ignore it and not to take that scary message seriously. Because they thought it might be a prank. But all those three girls were totally wrong. She kept receiving the warning messages. The awful and spooky things even started coming into her life when she decided to not to leave Jake behind. Abby was confused it was really a ghost from the past or just another girl at school who disliked her.

Curiosity was the reason why I kept reading this book. I wonder who did the nasty things to Abby that was almost scared her to death. I have made many speculations about the actor behind all mysterious things. I drew an envious girl till the dead creature. Although there was no more horripilation, I still enjoyed the story. I liked all those scary messages even the horrible thing that was set up for Abby. It brought back the memories about Goosebumps and Fear Street.

This book was written in 160 pages. So It brought me faster to the ending. When I almost decide that I did not like the way he ended Abby's story, surprisingly P.J. Night, the author, has prepared something that made my eyes widened and left my mouth opened for a second. Brilliant!.

For Middle Grade age, Truth or Dare is a great book. I'd love to read the next series. In the end of the book, they gave me the teaser. It was more spooky than this one. I hope I can find in the next Galley Grab.

The Cover
I like it. It brought me back to the past where I was I thought I would find the scene that was drawn on the cover. Unfortunately, there was not such scene. The girls did not share any scary stories but they watched horror movie. Can you see the girl in the window? They drew her perfectly.

4/5

Source: Simon & Schuster Galley Grab
Author: P.J. Night
Reading level: Ages 9-12
Paperback: 160 pages
Publisher: Simon Spotlight; Original edition (June 7, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1442420960
ISBN-13: 978-1442420960
Product Dimensions: 7.5 x 5.1 x 0.5 inches
Buy Truth or Dare . . . (You're Invited to a Creepover (Quality)) at Amazon

~~~

I read this book as a part of 30books30days reading challenge

No comments:

#SS2014: The Riddle

Here we go again~ Setelah dua tahun berturut-turut dapat buku terjemahan, tahun ini aku dapat buku dari penulis Indonesia. Ud...