Wednesday 29 June 2011

Review: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma


Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives—and the way they understand each other so completely—has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.(Goodreads)

My Thought
Forbidden is a contemporary book. It was written with two different points of view, Lochan and Maya. They are brother and sister. Since their father left and her mother did not take care the house hold, they were the one who handled and responsibled for everything. Preparing the meal, paying the bill, baby-sitting their three younger siblings were things that they did in their young age. Sharing this kind of situation and feelings made their bond getting tighter. For Maya, Lochan was not only her brother, but also best friend and soulmate. Same thought was also kept in Lochan mind and heart. They fell in love with each other. If Maya did not mind to show and talk about it, Lochan kept hiding and neglecting all those feelings.He knew for sure it was illegal. But one thing for sure, he just could not resist it.

I have never read this kind of story.. I was little bit surprised when I found out what happened between Lochan and Maya and everything they did. It was hard for me to believe. For me incest issued is intolerable. Call me naive when I thought that incest in a family no longer exists. But then I realized with all that kind of family, many terrible things could happened.

There was lots of emotion running through in each chapter. From Lochan till his dysfunctional mother have played a great role to make me feel different after done with one chapter. I hated their mother. I got annoyed with Kit. I loved all those breakfast or dinner session. I enjoyed all Maya’s thought. I liked when she shared everything especially about her little sister. I loved Willa. She was my favorite character. I liked when she started talking. Something weird from her chapters was when she talked about her feeling to Lochan. None of them made me feel gross. For sometimes, I felt there was nothing wrong with them. They were just like another normal couple. But different things happened when it was Lochan’s part. I was up and down with him. In his first chapter, it was hard for me to get what he said. The words that Tabitha chose for Lochan were out of my dictionary. His social problem was also confused me. How I hated when he kept lying to himself and denying everything while he realized the feeling for Maya was there. He made me thought that he was just not trying hard enough. Then in the end, he succeeded with his words. My eyes were full with tears.

I wish I got a different ending. Not the one which breaks my heart.

Forbidden is one of five books that written by Tabitha Suzuma. I have not checked the others. But for this hard topic, she wrote it well.

Cover
There is two colour for the cover of this book. The red one is for the Hardcover and the black for paperback. If they ask me to choose, I prefer the black one. It's suitable with the story inside.

4/5

Author: Tabitha Suzuma | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 464 pages
Publisher: Simon Pulse; Reprint edition (June 28, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1442419954
ISBN-13: 978-1442419957
Product Dimensions: 8.2 x 5.9 x 1.3 inches

Source: Galley Grab
Buy Forbidden at Amazon

No comments:

#SS2014: The Riddle

Here we go again~ Setelah dua tahun berturut-turut dapat buku terjemahan, tahun ini aku dapat buku dari penulis Indonesia. Ud...