Friday 8 April 2011

Review: Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis


Twelve-year-old Kat Stephenson may be the despair of her social-climbing Step-Mama, but she was born to be a magical Guardian and protector of Society--if she can ever find true acceptance in the secret Order that expelled her own mother. She’s ready to turn the hidebound Order of the Guardians inside-out, whether the older members like it or not. And in a society where magic is the greatest scandal of all, Kat is determined to use all her powers to help her three older siblings--saintly Elissa, practicing-witch Angeline, and hopelessly foolish Charles--find their own true loves, even if she has to turn highwayman, battle wild magic, and confront real ghosts along the way!

My Thought
I have seen this book in some blogs and they gave a high rating to this book. 4 until 5 stars. I was so glad when I found out that it was in Grab Galley March. Thanks to Simon&Schuster who provided me this e-ARC.

Kat was a fun character. It did not take many pages to fall for this girl. She was so unique. From all things that she had in her mind or her attitudes. A lot of times, I found myself smiling even giggling because of her stubbornness or everything that she said in conversation. I did not find any difficulties to understand her. Being accused as trouble in family was not nice. Especially when she had some problem with Angeline and Ellisa, her sisters. They are also my favorite. I enjoyed the family's relation. Reading all their moments that were written in this book remind me to my own sisters. I think her stepmother also played a great role. Without her the story might be plain.

I have never expected that I would find magical stuff in this book. Surprisingly, it became one of interesting thing. I enjoyed all the idea about Guardian, mirror, book, a witch who could cast a spell without wand or even saying any word. However few times I found myself searching for the charms.

It was hard for me to imagine a girl like Kat wearing a 19th century dress. But I am pretty sure It would be nice to see her in motion pictures.

Overall Kat, Incorrigible is delightful reading. I think it is not only for middle grade because all ages could enjoy this book. Can't hardly wait for the next book

Cover
I loved it, although I could not find any scene where all tea pots flying that can be seen in the cover.

4/5

Author: Stephanie Burgis
Source: Grab Galley Simon&Schuster.
Hardcover, 304 pages
Published April 5th 2011 by Atheneum (first published August 1st 2010)

No comments:

#SS2014: The Riddle

Here we go again~ Setelah dua tahun berturut-turut dapat buku terjemahan, tahun ini aku dapat buku dari penulis Indonesia. Ud...