Friday 20 January 2012

Book Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth


In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. 
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her. 
Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance. (Goodreads)
~~~


My Thought
I did not read many dystopian. Uglies the series and The Hunger Games Trilogy were the only dystopian books on my shelves. They were on my favorite list for almost two years. Now they got a new companion. Divergent

I do not know why it took months to grab it.I should not have any doubts for everything those book bloggers said about this book. What I can say, It is not just hype. Divergent is fantastic. It's unputdownable book. I'm Lovin' It.

Let me tell you the reasons why.First, all the characters were written very well, even the one who got the smallest part. Tris was in the first character on my list. It was not difficult to walk in her shoes. All her emotion was sensed easily. I loved her boldness.  She got the talents. She learnt everything quickly. No matter how hard it seemed, she always gets a way out. Another thing I like from her is the way she revealed everything. As the first-person narrator, she did her job very well. Everything was described clearly. From the Aptitude test that made her so nervous, the Choosing Ceremony till the stages of initiation that she had to pass. I also like all the days that she spent in her new factions. 

After Tris, Four was also in my top list. Don't you think his name was weird? Let me tell you little bit about this. When everybody has chosen one faction to live in. They left everything behind including their own name. Now Back to Four. He was so charming. Since the beginning till the last chapter, he stayed as one of my favorite character. I liked the way he acted and how he treated Tris.

Another characters were also awesome. Lets say Peter and the gank, Christina, Will, or Al. They were still a lot. But I promised you,it is so easy to distinguish them.  Veronica Roth is so brilliant in creating such characters. Each of them has their own way to make you feel a variety of emotions.

Abnegation has fulfilled our need for selfless leaders in Government. Candor has provided us with trustworthy and sound leaders in law. Erudite has supplies us with intelligent teachers and researchers. Amity has given us understanding counselors and care-takers, and Dauntless Provided us with protections from thread both within and without."
Second, the world concepts awed me. As you can see in the synopsis and what I wrote above,  there are five factions. Everyone was divided based on their preference. No matter what the test result was, you still can choose. But you have to take all risks that follow after. You have to survive or you will end up as factionless.

Third, the relationship between the characters. All of them were built well. I adored the bond between Tris and her family especially her mother, Mrs. Prior. The scene who involved both of them were so touching. I also liked the chapters that brought me to  the story of Tris with Christina and Will. The hatred between Peter and Tris  was one of my favorite things in Divergent. And finally I choose relationship between Tris and Four. I love everything that happened between them especially when the end up that way

I'd love to tell you more. But I am afraid that I am just giving you spoiler.

The picture below is the cover of Insurgent, the second book in the series. I will never make a same mistake. Right after it is released, I am gonna bring it home. 




Cover
Before reading the book, I have no idea why they chose such cover. I got the answer right after I knew which faction Tris was. I wonder how Indonesian cover will look like.  


4.5/5

Author: Veronica Roth
Reading level: Ages 14 and up
Hardcover: 496 pages
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books (May 3, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0062024027
ISBN-13: 978-0062024022
Product Dimensions: 8.6 x 5.6 x 1.5 inches
Challenge: Just For Fun Reading Challenge

No comments:

#SS2014: The Riddle

Here we go again~ Setelah dua tahun berturut-turut dapat buku terjemahan, tahun ini aku dapat buku dari penulis Indonesia. Ud...