Tuesday 10 May 2011

Review: The Little Prince Graphic Novel by Joann Sfar


For over sixty-five years Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's The Little Princehas captured the hearts and minds of its readers. The whimsical story with a fairy tale touch has sold over 80 million copies in 230 languages. This exciting graphic adaptation features beautiful, new artwork by Joann Sfar. Hand-chosen by Saint-Exupéry's French publishers for his literary style and sensitivity to the original, Sfar has endeavored to recreate this beloved story, both honoring the original and stretching it to new heights. A vibrant, visual gift for longtime fans and those experiencing the story for the first time.

My Thought
After travelling to some planets, the Little Prince finally arrived on Earth. He landed in a desert. Snake was the first creature that he met. Few days later, he found an aviator with his broken plane. To the man, who could not draw well, he told about his little planet. How conceited the Rose that he kept. The Baobabs trees that he cleaned every day. Even about the Volcano. He also shared his story about some adults whom he met in another planets. In few days, the Aviator learnt many things about the boy. The bond between them knitted and got stronger day by day.

The little Prince, I never get bored reading this book over and over again. This is one of my favorite books. The more I read it, the more I understand what the author tried to say. The first version that I read is in Indonesian. I think I have lost my count how many times I read this book. Now the paper is not as neat as the first time I bought. The English version, I read through the web. I was so glad that I could find my favorite quotes in English. The French was also available, but I gave up. I know no words in its original language. When I checked Net Galley and found its graphic novel. I was so eager to read it, although I remembered how the story was. But I must have slipped my mind that the publisher has approved my request. Because it took me more than a month to finish it.

I could not help myself but comparing this book and its novel. Since the original book also got the illustration. However I still prefer the original novel, there were some parts in graphic novel that I loved. Let's say when The Little prince met the snake in the desert, or his quality time with the Fox. Even when he talked to his rose. Joann Sfar drew it very well. I could see how arrogant that flower was. I also got many new things that I might have missed in the original book. It looks like that Joann Sfar added something in the story. Some of his artworks also made me giggling. A same emotion remained when I was in the last page.

Reading this graphic novel made me wanted to read the book especially when The Little Prince traveled to one planets to another.

From Goodreads, I saw another graphic novels of Joann Sfar. I'd love to read them all.

I recommended this graphic novel to all readers who adored The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

4/5

Favorite quotes
"Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves"
"Perharps It's my fault that you didn't understand. You are as foolish as I am"
"You'll always be responsible for what you've always tamed."
"There's a risk you might cry sometimes, if you allow yourself to be tamed"
~~

Reading level: Ages 9-12
Hardcover: 112 pages
Publisher: HMH Books (October 18, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 9780547338026
ISBN-13: 978-0547338026
Product Dimensions: 9.3 x 7.4 x 0.7 inches
Source: Net Galley
Buy The Little Prince Graphic Novel at Amazon.

No comments:

#SS2014: The Riddle

Here we go again~ Setelah dua tahun berturut-turut dapat buku terjemahan, tahun ini aku dapat buku dari penulis Indonesia. Ud...