Friday 20 May 2011

Review: Scenarios 4 : Making Waves by Nicole O'Dell


Kate Walker joins the swim team and becomes obsessed with practice and making it through the championships with flying colors. What will Kate do when she s faced with pressure from her teammates to take an illegal substance that will help her swim multiple events in their championship meet? Girls ages 10 to 15 make the choice in this interactive story and see how the consequences change Kate s life. Includes a contract and prayer to remind the reader of the importance of making godly decisions.
My Thought
This is one of the first books that I received through Net Galley. The other book is Magna. You can find my review about Magna here. The publisher combined these two books and put Risky Business as the title. I think I prefer to review it one by one.

In Making Waves, I met Kate Walker. She was left by many people she loved. One of them is Julia, her best friend, who moved to another town. So she has no friend to talk to and shared everything. She still has a great and lovely mother. But it would be different. And that explained why she felt so lonely.

Then one day, Kate decided to join the swim team to ease the pain. Just in one training season, she directly become the stars. In few day, she was already become a part of the team. Her couch prepared her to participate in State competition. No need to wonder why. Kate was a great and avid swimmer. Since then, her schedule become so tight. It made her really exhausted. Then, one offer that sound promising was approached. It made her become so confused. In one side, it could help her get more energy. In other side, she knew it so well, it was illegal. What a dilemma!

I liked many things from this book. It has simple word choice, nice plot and also sweet ending for everyone. There was one scene that touched my heart. My eyes were teary because of it. From all the characters. Kate's mother was my favorite.


Just like in Magna, you can get two different endings in one book. They let you choose. But I did not do it. Because I was just too curious. So I read both of them. I wanted to know how the plot ran for each options.

Cover
The setting is drawn well in the cover. The color combination is also nice. I liked it. But in my imagination, Kate is more beautiful than the model above. However it's not stated in the book.

3/5

Author: Nicole O'dell | Website | Twitter | Goodreads
Reading level: Young Adult
Paperback: 192 pages
Publisher: Barbour Publishing, Inc.; Original edition (April 1, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 9781602608450
ISBN-13: 978-1602608450
ASIN: 1602608458
Product Dimensions: 8 x 5.5 x 0.5 inches

No comments:

#SS2014: The Riddle

Here we go again~ Setelah dua tahun berturut-turut dapat buku terjemahan, tahun ini aku dapat buku dari penulis Indonesia. Ud...