Thursday 26 May 2011

Review: Wrapped by Jennifer Bradburry


Agnes Wilkins is standing in front of an Egyptian mummy, about to make the first cut into the wrappings, about to unlock ancient (and not-so-ancient) history.

Maybe you think this girl is wearing a pith helmet with antique dust swirling around her.

Maybe you think she is a young Egyptologist who has arrived in Cairo on camelback.

Maybe she would like to think that too. Agnes Wilkins dreams of adventures that reach beyond the garden walls, but reality for a seventeen-year-old debutante in 1815 London does not allow for camels—or dust, even. No, Agnes can only see a mummy when she is wearing a new silk gown and standing on the verdant lawns of Lord Showalter’s estate, with chaperones fussing about and strolling sitar players straining to create an exotic “atmosphere” for the first party of the season. An unwrapping.

This is the start of it all, Agnes’s debut season, the pretty girl parade that offers only ever-shrinking options: home, husband, and high society. It’s also the start of something else, because the mummy Agnes unwraps isn’t just a mummy. It’s a host for a secret that could unravel a new destiny—unleashing mystery, an international intrigue, and possibly a curse in the bargain.

Get wrapped up in the adventure . . . but keep your wits about you, dear Agnes.

My Thought
This book brought us to Agnes Wilkins who was prepared to face her debut. Agnes, herself,did not give any attention about it. She let her mother arranged everything for her including the debutante dresses. The mystery begun in a mummy unwrapped party that she attended. From the body, she found one symbolic coin. It gave her difficult puzzle. She had to solve it or they would hurt more people. Since then, the adventure begin.

Wrapped gave me many great things. From an interesting character, Agnes Wilkins, till some facts that I have never read in any history book. I like how the mystery was up and finally revealed.

I learnt little bit about Napoleon and all his victory at school. They gave me two pictures of him.I knew his troops had conquered many country. But they did not say or explain anything about his maneuver. One thing for sure, he was as smart as they wrote in some chapters.

Mummy unwrapping party was also new for me. If I did not read this book, I would not know that some people in the Victorian era really hosted such occasion. I think it's little bit harsh. For me, Mummy should have been considered as something sacred. But all guest in the party seemed to enjoy the procession. Some of them even excited about it.

I liked Agnes in a first glance. Her passions to learn many things were fascinating. I adored her curiosity and wittiness. I loved when she was suddenly out of burst in foreign language. I was also glad when I met Caedmon. The story line that involved Agnes and Caedmon was written well. Everything between them happened naturally. However I felt no wave in it. It's really plain.

But overall, Wrapped was enjoyable reading. If historical fiction is your favorite genre, I think you should grab this book soon.

Cover
Can you see the mummy in the cover?
I did not notice it till I read about the chapters about mummy unwrapping party. Now I know why they chose such cover. I just could not imagine if they use the real mummy.

3.5/5

Source: Simon & Schuster Grab Galley
Author: Jennifer Bradburry
Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: Atheneum (May 24, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1416990070
ISBN-13: 978-1416990079
Product Dimensions: 8.4 x 5.8 x 1.3 inches
Buy Wrapped at Amazon

No comments:

#SS2014: The Riddle

Here we go again~ Setelah dua tahun berturut-turut dapat buku terjemahan, tahun ini aku dapat buku dari penulis Indonesia. Ud...